Monday, February 1, 2010

What it Costs to be a True Xian

"What does it cost to be a true Christian? “It will cost him his self-righteousness. He must cast away all pride and high thoughts, and conceit of his own goodness. He must be content to go to heaven as a poor sinner saved only by free grace, and owing all to the merit and righteousness of another. He must be willing to give up all trust in his own morality, respectability, praying, Bible-reading, Church-going, and sacrament-receiving, and trust in nothing but Jesus Christ. Let us set down this item first and foremost in our account. To be a true Christian it will cost a man his self-righteousness.”

~ J.C. Ryle Faithfulness and Holiness: The Witness of J.C. Ryle 

1 comment:

  1. I recount my story of the "Intentional Parent" that I encountered at my school.

    "My kid came back from camp and announced that he had given his life to Jesus . . . told me he got saved. So I said, 'sit down.' Then I challenged him about choices in life, and like I've always told him, 'Your choices have consequences.' ---- 'son, have you really considered the consequences of following Jesus?'

    ReplyDelete